November 21, 2016
Dear Mom, Dad and Sam:
[Week of November 14 - 20]
Monday - Well like I said, today was full of travel. It was
really cool getting to fly as a missionary and we actually flew down as like a
group of 4 or 5 of us. The best part is that Elder Douglas (Angus), from my MTC group, will be on Lanzarote which means he's in my district. There's just 4 of
us again and we are all Elders. Lanzarote was beautiful for tonight. We flew in
contacted a little bit and called it a day.
| Elder Douglas and Elder Harris about to board plane to Canary Islands |
| New Companion, Elder Perez, from Utah |
| Elders Fernandez, Perez, Harris, and Douglas on the plane to the Canaries |
| Port of Lanzarote |
Tuesday - Well this morning Elder Perez and I travelled to
Fuerteventura. We took an hour long bus ride to the port. Then we took a 30 min
long boat/ferry ride to Fuerteventura, then we took another bus 45 mins down
the coast to Puerto del Rosario where we live.
| Photos from the ferry |
| The city of Puerto del Rosario |
| The patio of Elders' piso (apartment) |
I had a district leader meeting
that I had to Skype into and it was really good.
| First SKYPE meeting with Elders Fernandez and Douglas |
We had a lesson with an
investigator named Jorge. He's on date for the 3rd of December. He's a super
humble guy and he's lived here basically his entire life. Then we contacted the
rest of the night. I met the branch president today as well and he seems like a
total stud.
Wednesday - So this morning we went contacting in the port area of our town. Then we had district meeting over Skype at 12:30. Then the
branch president's wife brought us an amazing lunch to eat at our piso. We met
with an investigator named Paul after medio Día. He's from Romania and doesn't
speak very good Spanish so we actually Skype with the office elders from the
Romania Moldova mission. We contacted most of the night after that. It was a
good day.
Thursday - This morning we had our weekly planning session.
Then we ate lunch with some members named Paco and Nati. The food was AMAZING!
Afterwards we took a bus to a pueblo called Gran Tarajal and we contacted a
little bit there and then we had to come back for a lesson with a girl named
Nathalia. She's an investigator and hopefully she will be getting baptized soon
as well.
Friday - This morning we went to Coralejo. The drive was
absolutely gorgeous to get there. We drove past beaches and beautiful
mountains. We visited with a less active named Lidia she works taking care of
an old person and so she works 7 days a week. After that we ate with Juan
Estévez and he is a typical islander. He loves to fish! We ate a shrimp dish as
well as fresh caught fish from the ocean and a giant salad. It was delicious! We contacted the rest of the day.
Saturday - This morning we had another lesson with Paul.
During the lesson I kept feeling like I was understanding everything they were
saying in Romanian. Then, afterwards I kinda did a lesson run back to the
Elders in Romania and they were like yea that's exactly what we taught. It was
super cool, I guess that could be a 'gift of tongues moment.' Then we had an eating
appointment with Margarita and her son Harrison. It was a really good soup and
rice and chicken. We actually had quite a few things go super well. We made a
bunch of pass-by plans. They actually all ended up working out. We taught like
6 lessons today and it was just a day full of miracles. I love this area!
Sunday - So Today was awesome! I spoke in church about
missionary work. The branch has about 60 members there every Sunday but, about
20 of that is the primary. We have some pretty massive families with 4 plus
kids here. After church we ate with Zenon and Elena. The food was super good.
Then we started making phone calls to verify who would be at the branch
activity that we are having this next Saturday.
| View from Zenon & Elena's House |
![]() |
Then we ate dinner with a
member named Yolanda and her teenage son Nacho. We had basically like a chicken
cordon blue. It was super good, and I absolutely have loved all the food I
have gotten since being here. We get fed a ton.
Monday - So today for pday we pretty much chilled. We did
some grocery shopping then we cleaned the piso. Afterwards, we went bowling
with a couple of JAS or young single adults as we say. Elder Perez and I beat
the two of them. They are actually brothers so it was a team event. Haha!
Dad, to answer some questions, we travel basically
everywhere by bus. We are in charge of proselyting for our entire island which
is actually really cool. It's a lot of responsibility. I love it here though.
The weather is perfect, a nice 70-75 degrees everyday with a constant breeze. If
we were to travel from the north of the island to the south it would take about
3 to 3 and a half hours. We walk a lot or rides buses, or most of the members
here actually have cars so we get rides a lot as well. We are going to be
starting activities to find new friends to teach, and our living quarters are
awesome. Next week hopefully I will have some pictures to share, but it's super
nice and new and actually the landlord comes and cleans it for us every two
weeks, just because he's a nice guy. The people here are super nice. Not
necessarily more receptive but, they are super nice. I love it all!
| [What's this face?] |
| What we see almost every night -- these normal Canary sunsets |
politics it's just better not to bring it up here. The majority think he's basically gonna be the next Hitler. Or there's he other reasonable half or so that think just give him some time to see what he's gonna do. My companion Elder Perez only has about 4 months on the mission and he's spent all of it here. I'm his second companion so I'm 'greenie breaking' him right now. He's a super good guy and he sets an amazing example for me.
I love you all so much,
Love, Elder Harris
DyC 4:3


No comments:
Post a Comment