Monday, May 8, 2017

Transferred to VIGO!

May 8, 2017

[Week of: May 1 – 7]

Monday - So today was pretty fun. This morning I flew into Madrid. I hung out with Elder Hendrix until about 5 when I met up with Elder Morris and Elder Lopez my ex-companion. I spent the night with them here in B5 right next to where I served in B1. I got to see some old friends while I was here and it was a good night. We'll have to get up at 5:30 tomorrow so I can catch my bus up to Vigo at 8.

Tuesday - So today I caught my bus at 8 and it is a total trip time of 7:15 bus ride. It was really fun and the seats were super nice. I really enjoyed it. I had a good experience talking to the guy next to me who told me some stuff about Vigo and although he wasn't interested in the church he was happy to find out I was not a Jehovah's Witness. Haha! Basically everyone here thinks that's who we are. 


Photo from the Bus

Statue in Celta Vigo Jersey

Beautiul Vigo!
I got to Vigo at about 4:30. We had a lesson with a family who we are teaching their son and preparing him for baptism. They are a pretty less active family, but they are awesome! Then we met with our friend, Raquel, she's so awesome. Apparently in the last 4 months she has made some major changes in her life due to knowing the missionaries. She's got all kinds of piercings and tattoos, but, she's just a big softie down under that. Then we met with Victor Manuel, who is actually preparing for baptism May 20. We are probably gonna have to push that date back, but, he's progressing really good. We taught the gospel of Jesus Christ tonight and at the end he just said, "so, when can I be baptized, I'm ready." The Spirit was strong and it was a great lesson.

Vigo the Beautiful!

Wednesday - So this morning we had district meeting. It was really good and I absolutely love this new district here! We have a group of really hard workers that are doing their best and they are seeing miracles because of it. I completely love this district even though I just got here. This afternoon we did some pass-bys and such looking for some new people. We had English class at 7, which went really well, and we are hopeful it will continue to grow.

"Chubby Bunny" Get-to-know-you Game 
Thursday - Today was really good, we had weekly planning this morning and it went super good. Then we ate lunch with a member named Ilda. She's this sweet little Colombian lady who I love with all my heart. She's sooooo funny! Then we met with Raquel again. She's doing really well, we are going to have to make a plan with her on how to stop smoking. But, she's doing great otherwise. Then we met with a recent convert named José Carlos. He's preparing to go on a mission and he's awesome. He's from here in Vigo and he's got a lot of potential to be a great missionary. Then after him we met with Cristian, a new investigator from Peru. He's super cool and we're super excited to be meeting with him.

Friday - So this morning I had a meeting for the leaders of the zone here in Santiago. It was really good and I feel like we set some achievable goals for the missionaries up here. After that the sky decided to start dumping buckets on us so we did companionship study at the Chapel. Then we were supposed to meet this new guy named Luis in the mall but, he never came so we ended up just going and talking to a guy that owns a store that sells American goods. He's super cool and we became pretty good friends with him. 

Then this afternoon we were doing some pass-bys. We had a lesson at 6:30 with Mikel (the son of the less active family I talked about earlier). We taught about the love of God, and how he is always conscious of our needs and desires. It went well. Then we had Correlation with our branch mission leader, Ludín. (You pronounce his name like grandma's name) He's really awesome, he and his wife are returned missionaries and they are a big help to the missionaries here. Then we normally have branch counsel tonight as well but they had to cancel.

Saturday - So today was great! This morning we taught English class, and it actually was really good, we had like 8 people there. Then we play fútbol right afterwards and that went well as well. It's cool because the only field close to where we live is made of Turf, so it's really nice to play on in comparison to all the concrete ones. Then we ate lunch with some members named Claudio and Aurora. Claudio is from here in Spain and Aurora is from Mexico. They told us some pretty crazy stories about when Claudio went to Mexico to get Aurora he got kidnapped and a few other crazy things happened. They made us some super good Mexican rice and chicken with tortillas. You could say I love their food. 

Then this afternoon I had to go over to Pontevedra to do a baptismal interview. The girl I interviewed is named Celina and she is actually from LA, CALIFORNIA. It was super cool being able to speak English and the fact that we are gonna see an American baptized here in Spain. It's pretty cool. She actually came here to play professional soccer.

Sunday - This morning we had church. Normally in all of my areas my branches or wards have only had about 45-70 people there on a normal day. On my first Sunday here, we had almost 100 people there and that's the average, sometimes it gets up to about 120-130! It's just a branch here but that's because we are in a district not a stake. The branch here is great, so far the people I've met are great and really want to help us in whatever we are doing. 

After church we went and ate with a lot of members at the Grandma's house that I talked about earlier. (Ilda) The food was super good and the people were super fun to get to know. Then we had the chance to take the sacrament to a member named Tomasa from Arequipa, Peru. She as well is a little grandma lady but she's awesome and we had a really good time at her house. Then we do an activity here every week where we make pancakes right after the Institute class. All of the JAS come and it's a really fun activity. Then we went to do pass-bys and we finished the day in Piso doing language study.

PANCAKE ACTIVITY

Monday - Today for P-day the Elders from Pontevedra are gonna come over and we are just gonna hang out and try to find something fun to do. This week we have zone conference up in Coruña. As well on Sunday we will have to travel to Santiago for our district conference. 
Shaq Soda -- (Not that great)
So, in the way of making Mother's Day plans, I won't be able to call you guys until like 6-7-8 p.m. my time here. Which is I believe seven hours in front of you guys. So to answer some questions my district is made up of 8 missionaries, 2 companionships here in Vigo (which is pronounced how it is spelt, Vigo), one companionship in the city across the bay, Pontevedra, and one companionship in Ourense which is about a hour and a half bus ride from here. The only missionary I know from before is Hermana Duffin, we served together in Alcorcon for two transfers. I know basically all of the rest of the missionaries here too just not very well. I arrived to an area that has had a lot of success recently and it also appears that it is going to continue that way.

So my new companion is Elder Burt, he's from Boston, Massachusetts. He just got finished being trained and he's a super cool guy. He's a hard worker and I'm excited to get to work with him. 
Elder Burt from Boston

Love you all,
Elder Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment