Monday, September 28, 2015

Cooking Up A Storm


September 21, 2015

Dear Mom and Dad,

So this week was a good one. We had lessons with Axxx and we ate some really good food. Today for our PDay we cleaned the piso and just chilled here in Aranjuez. We made food with a member named Jose. He's from Colombia and we made a food called Patacones with him. It's smashed plantains (bananas), fried and with cheese or a cheese-milk mixture called suero. We also ate the Yuka boiled like potato or fried. I have lots of photos to share!
 

Jose and Elder Norrell
Watch us making patacones!


Plantains and Yuka (like potatoes)


Dipping the Patacones in 'suero' for Frying

 


 
Eating with Jose
 
Our area is growing a lot right now. Not so much investigator wise but a lot with just people coming back to church and new members moving in. We are very close to having a ward here. Also new rule here, as missionaries and as members we are no longer supposed to call investigators, "investigators." They are now our 'friends who are getting to know the church.' The word investigator has been banished as missionaries. 
 
Mom loved this photo, so sent it to him.

My companion's plans are probably to work and go to school. He doesn't really have a lot of plans right now. He's very ready to go home though. It's been a long 2 years for him.

I made CHEESEBURGERS this week, and they were yummy!



The zone conference was awesome. I always love them, but this one was really good. We learned a lot and it was taught by the other missionaries. I'll attach a photo of my notes. It was kind of sad because my companion gave his 'dying' testimony. At that point he really did realize that his mission is coming to a close. It was in Madrid, in a neighborhood called Carabanchel which is also the name of our zone. I said hello to President Pack but that was about it. I don't want to seem like a climber and just try to talk to him as soon as there is an open moment. I'm not a person like that. I did get to see Elder Escobar. He's like my best bud and I love seeing him, he's just such a goofball.
 



Please continue praying for Axxx as well as Sxxx. We told Axxx that our families were praying for him and he said "I can tell." The light of God has just been more in his life. He came to church on Sunday and he LOVED it! He stayed all 3 hours and was just amazed at how much he learned and how much love he felt. Wow, can you say 'prepared to hear our message' or what? It's honestly a complete pleasure teaching him and it just feels like I'm talking to a friend. We are super comfortable with each other and his baptismal date looks for sure. Same day as General Conference. I'm also very excited for this upcoming conference. Never in my life have I ever felt this way about General Conference, but I'm actually really excited for it. 

Sam's Crew Photo
Dinner groups...yours sounds like a lot of fun. Hahahaha and that piece. I did know that about Sheila Kane's dad. Dad had told me about that a while ago. That is super cool though.
 
Wow, Sam is a section leader! That's pretty sweet. It's weird that a sophomore is the one doing it though. 

Elder Norrell keeps telling me I'm going to train because I can speak the language and stuff really well. I sure hope not, I'm not ready to train yet. But it's likely I will, be so don't be surprised if it happens. I love the Spanish language. It's so beautiful. I'm starting to pick up the accent and everything. I'm so excited for the opportunity that I have to serve here. I owe a lot of the blessing of the language to Heavenly Father. He has sure done His part in helping me to learn it. 

Statue in Toledo
Cool photo of Toledo
 

I'll follow up about letters to the piso. I love you guys a bunch.

Dad, to answer your questions, no one really writes me other than you guys, Sam, some other missionaries, Chris, and The Hannahs in Utah. Other than that I don't write that many people. Tanja does write me on a regular basis though. I am healthy, if I wasn't I may or may not let you know. And the people here aren't that huge on Christmas, yes it is a thing that they love but it's not the best holiday. The biggest one is dia de Los Reyes (day of the kings).

I love you all and wish you the best,
Elder Grayson Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment