Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Birthday Boy Dodges a Transfer

Dodging a Transfer
So luckily I am staying here with Elder Norrell for at least another transfer. With the group of 27 Missionaries leaving this transfer, we were worried because we only get 5 new missionaries as well. There are 10 areas that closed this transfer. Elder Norrell is the DL now.

I have not received my package yet. I won't get it until we have our next Zone conference and we  only have those once a transfer. (Or every 6 weeks) we haven't met the Pack's yet. I'm sure they are great! We don't really go to the mission home ever. Also I haven't been to the temple since I've been at the MTC. Apparently our area that is 45 mins away from Madrid is too far for us to go the temple. But it's cool. We love our area.
 


Spanish is Coming Along
We have set some pretty big goals for this next transfer so we are hoping to work really hard. We are going to have to rely on the Lord a lot because the people here just aren't willing to hear us out. I'm very excited though. My language skills are improving tremendously. I believe it's because we're trying to be completely to be the Lord. I've never been able to learn something so foreign so quickly. It's truly an amazing blessing.
 
Hear a sample of  Elder Harris' Spanish on a tour of their 'piso' (apartment): (as we can see, his housekeeping skills have not improved)
 
 
 
It is just plain HOT!
The days are very long, and the members don't really do a ton to help us so it's hard to contact for 6 hours straight in 108 degrees. But moving forward we are just going to work harder. 
 
A tad warm in Aranjuez

Whatever...
The shaved legs are great actually. Haha! It is actually tradition amongst the Elders in Aranjuez to shave their legs. Elder Norrell did it last transfer. 


Awesome Friend!
We actually aren't going to be baptizing Txxx after all. :( but it's not because of anything we did. She still comes to church and is very active. Her husband told her if she is baptized he will divorce her. So she just wants some time to look at what she wants her life to be in an eternal perspective and if she doesn't see her husband in that, we might still baptize her. She's really awesome! I actually am attaching a picture with her!

Elder Norrell, Txxx, Elder Harris

But, this week I still get to have my first baptism. His name is Hxxx and he is an 8 year-old child of one of our recent converts so I'm pretty excited. It's going to be a really special experience for me.
Birthday Boy
I'm excited for my birthday! I guess it will be cool, we have district meeting and then we don't really have any other plans so I'll probably just buy some ice cream for something special. 

 They do nothing for the 4th of July here. Most people don't know what it is. Also most people here were excited to hear that the U.S. passed gay marriage. They think it's a good step forward. The political viewpoints here are crazy! They also think that America is the home of racism and that we hate all races besides white people. Spain is a crazy place! I can definitely see the chains the people have here weighing them down. It's sad to see all this stuff. 
 
Mom hopes Elder Harris helps Elder Norrell do dishes!

If people only knew...
But anyway, I love being here. Things are just getting better. I love the people here even though they make it really hard sometimes. I love Spain! It's a pretty country that's for sure. I love that I am here as an ambassador for the Lord. If people would only realize that they would hear us for a minute. 

JAMON - the main craze
So, here's some photos of the main craze here in Spain, it's called Jamon (ham) I personally don't like it,  but it's kinda a big deal here. This is a pig leg! This is Elder Franson, my first DL. He goes home today.

Elder Franson, first District Leader

 
Harris and Norrell having some laughs
Parque de Principe

This is in Parque de Principe! It's super beautiful! It's the most beautiful place in Aranjuez! Check out this sweet peacock we got to stand next to!!!


Elder Harris and Elder Norrell in Parque de Principe -- check out that PEACOCK!


Mr. Peacock up close and personal






I pray for you guys always and wish you the best. How's Randi doing? 

Can you please send like official stuff about the gay marriage passing? I want to see some more info about it. The news here is all skewed. 

I love you guys and thanks for the Birthday wishes! 

Love,
Elder Grayson Harris

1 comment:

  1. Hi Elder Harris,
    We hope you got your b-day card on time. We have thought about you so much and are so glad to hear about the things and people you are seeing every day. We love you so much and can see by the video that you had a very delicious cake--at least it looked good. Funny how they have you take your first bite. Mustache heaven.

    Just like to share with you that yesterday all of the Rexburg, Sugar City (east of us 3 miles) and on North-east to Yellowstone, all had a
    TORNADO WARNING!!!! Can you believe that? Here in Idaho for heavens sake. It was a serious warning, but it passed us without incident and for that we are grateful. Grandpa and I were ready to hide out in the bathroom here in the hall if need be---or head out to the more sturdy shed. The warning lasted about 45 minutes--4:00 pm to about 4:45 pm. and then was gone. We got heavy rain for only about 15 minutes and the winds weren't bad. No hail, but it sure had us on alert for a bit. It was beautiful evening after that.

    Grandpa's hip is doing well and we are fine. We are looking forward to seeing Chris, Nathalie and the kids in a couple of weeks or so. Also my best friend from Winslow, AZ and her husband are stopping by for a day or so soon. Then Dan and Sherri are trying to come up to see us before she has to start teaching pre-school again in August.

    It is so fun to hear those around you speaking to you and you all carrying on a conversation and we don't understand a word you are saying.

    We love you bunches and will keep on checking on news here and from your Mom and Dad. Good night and know that you are always in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete